Welcome to Texas where we love our trucks. Finding used trucks in Houston is fairly easy since its a culture thing around here. People drive trucks here even when they don’t need one. Your urban cowboy types are all over this town. So finding a used truck in Houston is not hard to do but what does take some doing is choosing the best used truck for sale in a sea of many choices.
So we did some of the legwork for you on choosing used truck. Houston is a big town so when you start looking at anything used it will likely have mileage so we decided on vehicles that can handle some mileage. One of the great things about buying something used in this town is that you do not have to worry about rust much unless it’s a vehicle that has been down on the coast or owned by someone that loves the beach even 20-year-old vehicles don’t have rust here. That does not mean don’t check for its just not much of a problem here.
Best choices in finding a used truck for sale in Houston
We’re going to start the list with the Ford F-150 which has a 4.7 overall consumer rating according to Edmunds. You can find the F-150 in a large variety of variations depending on the previous owner and their taste. There are a variety of engines available on this truck as well as a variety of trims. You will also find used F-150’s with several different cabin choices like regular, extended as well as a super cab version. The XL and the super cab XL make for some great work trucks having the room to carry a load of equipment as well as material and a crew easily. Now if you looking for something to off road with then the FX is the trim package you will want and if luxury is your hot button in a truck then the King Ranch and Platinum trim levels will be what you should be looking at.
Ford F-250 Super Duty
Well, the name kind of says it all when it comes to this truck. Super Duty is exactly what the F-250 is all about. It makes for a perfect used work truck and in Houston, with all the construction we have going on you can find these quite frequently. Finding a super duty that fits your needs is easy to find with its many trim levels as well as offering a regular, extended cab and super cab version. Engine choices in this used truck are a V8 making a solid 385 horsepower and 405-foot pounds of torque giving you plenty of hauling and towing power. The other choice is a 6.7 Liter V8 turbodiesel that puts out 400hp and 800 foot-pounds of torque. Married to those power plants is a 6-speed automatic transmission. Rear wheel drive is the standard but you can also find these used trucks for sale in a 4 wheel drive. Car and driver gives this truck a 5-star rating so you know it’s reliable. The diesel version like most diesel’s can pack on some miles and just keep on going as long as you maintain it.
Dodge Ram 2500
This is a used truck that is a workhorse in either a diesel or gasoline version. This truck is the perfect used work truck with its capability of pulling up to 17,300 pounds or handling a cargo load of 2 1/2 tons. If you want a big vehicle that commands the road the Dodge Ram 2500 definitely foots the bill. One of the nice features of the diesel is that it comes with an exhaust brake that comes in real handy when your towing heavy loads or hauling tons of materials. This truck is spacious as well with plenty of space to accommodate 5 or 6 people comfortably. You can find the Dodge Ram with either a 5.7L V8 or a 6.7L Diesel I-6. Your transmission choices are a 5 speed automatic or a choice of 6 speed automatic or manual. So when you’re looking at a used Ram 2500 you make sure you get a close run down of what that particular one have in it. There are 8 different trims you can find this truck in as well and of course choices of cabins.
Chevrolet Silverado 2500 / Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD / GMC Sierra 2500
When you’re looking for a used truck in Houston you definitely don’t want to overlook the Chevrolet line up and these three are all the same truck but with some different features depending on your choice and needs. The HD meaning heavy duty are of course the work trucks that are perfect for anyone needing something that can haul and tow and get you around in style they Silverado 2500 and its big bro the HD can do that. The Sierra is the fancier one in the group trading in its work boots for luxury amenities while still being able to get work done. You will find these in 3 cab styles and 3 engine choices. You will find this used truck with either a 6.0-liter gas, CNG V-8 or the ever popular Duramax 6.6L turbo diesel V8. A rear wheel drive is standard but all-wheel is also available.
When you find this used truck for sale it is worth looking at if you can find it locally. It’s a distinct truck in that it’s kind of like a truck SUV hybrid giving your passengers the comfort of an SUV while also giving you the loading capability or a pickup truck with a full-length bed. The Chevrolet Avalanche has a unique mid gate feature which allows it to be converted from a 5 or 6 passenger crew cab with a short bed to a 2 or three passenger pick-up truck with a full bed. The truck is based on Chevy’s full-size models and therefore the Avalanche shares its powertrain with them. If your looking at buying this used truck in Houston be aware that they tend to hold their value quite well. This is due to this vehicle being so versatile and allowing you to configure it as you need it from a full-size truck with less passenger space to a short bed with a crew cab.
The Tacoma is probably one of the best compact trucks to look at when you’re looking for a used compact truck. Indepent reviewers on Edmunds gave it a 4.7 out of 5-star score. The truck comes in 3 body styles which are the standard regular cab, extended cab, and a crew cab. You will also find the Toyota Tacoma in two wheel or four wheel configurations. Also, dont be fooled by the PreRunners these look like 4 wheel drive trucks with that beefed up 4 wheel drive suspension but they are two wheel drives. A great choice for someone in the market for a off road rugged looking truck that is still a two wheel drive. When it comes to engines the Tacoma when in a regular or access cab can either come with a 4 cylinder or a V6 engine. The standard is a 2.7 Liter four that makes 164 horsepower and 183 pound feet of torque and the 4.0L V6 that pumps out 245 horsepower and 283 pounds of torque. You will find either a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic transmission married to the 4 cylinder while the V6 comes with either a 6 speed manual or an 5 speed automatic. Used Toyota Tundra
This used truck is a great choice when you find one for sale and you’re a Toyota fan and care about reliability. Like all Toyota’s reliability is excellent in this vehicle. The Tundra was actually the first import truck that was designed to go head to head with full-size Chevy, Ford and Dodge pickup trucks. It initially got more love from buyers that were looking for a recreational vehicle but the second generation Tundra stepped it up with being bigger and more capable then the previous generation. The current generation is equipped with a 4.6 liter V8 that puts out 310 horsepower as its base however their is also a 5.7L that makes 381 horsepower which can be found in regular cab, TRD Pro, Limited, Platinum, 1794 and regular cab models. Its optional on the SR5 as well.
The Nissan Frontier is another import that has an excellent reputation. It received a 4.4 out of 5 stars in consumer reviews on Edmunds. When you find this compact pick up truck for sale here locally you will find it in several different trims with different configurations. If your looking for something with off road capabilities than the PRO-4X is a very capable choice for those of us that want to go places that do not have roads. The frontier comes with either a 4 cylinder or a V6. The 4 makes 152 horsepower and the 6 makes 261. You will find Used Frontiers in many different configurations because it comes in a variety of trim levels. Its a great vehicle choice for so many different applications. From work truck to off road vehicle or just a commuter it can do it all.
Used Truck Houston Check List
We know there are many trucks to choose from in the used market and the ones above are just some of the ones that stick out to us. No matter what you need one for if it’s a work truck that is reliable or you just want one because you want one you should always check over a few things to understand what you are getting yourself into.
- Look up recalls for the year make and model – even the best vehicles have recalls and known issues. Do some research and especially look for the expensive ones and make sure they are not present in the particular vehicle your looking at.
- Look at service intervals and required maintenance – maintenance is a big cost when it comes to owning and operating a vehicle so check to see what the recommended maintenance schedule is on the vehicle as well as the cost. This will help you understand ongoing expenses to keep the truck on the road.
- Look at consumer online reviews – this is always a good indicator if the used truck your thinking of buying is reliable. Most of these reviews come from actual owners so that will give you good insight as to what its like to own the vehicle.
- Get a CarFax or AutoCheck – use a service like CarFax or AutoCheck to get some actual history on the vehicle your looking at.
- Get maintenance records if they are available – this is not likely when buying from a used car dealer they will likely not have records like that available. However, you should ask what they have done to the vehicle. This will help you understand if any maintenance has already been done.
- Consider the overall condition of the vehicle – look for leaks around the engine and under the car. An oil leak can be a sign of a bigger problem. Check the oil itself and if it looks cloudy or metallic you likely have some major engine issues. Checks belts and hoses and look for dry rot. Check the tires for uneven wear which can be an indicator of suspension problems. Check the air conditioner since we’re talking about Houston you’re going to want that to work.
- High mileage – high mileage is not necessarily a problem at all on trucks especially work trucks where lots of highway miles are accumulated. An indicator of highway miles is to look at the wear and tear of the driver seat. When its highway miles wear and tear will be less than on city miles and short trips. Since on short trips, you’re in and out and therefore a driver seat will wear out faster and be in rougher condition. Also look online and see what used trucks are known to be able to handle high mileage.